Friday, June 24, 2011

You may outgrow the clover but you never outgrow the experience....

Living and breathing within the agricultural industry (and all it's aspects), I tend to forget how many people out there are against "us." I was reminded this morning by Trent Loos and his Friday edition of Rural Route Radio, where he and his guests discussed a recent CNN blog questioning whether 4H desensitizes kids to killing.

Now in full disclosure, I was a twelve year member of 4H and I have been a 4H leader for 10 years now. My how time does fly! I was also an FFA member and stay current with my alumni chapter in Washington. That's roughly twenty-two years of raising, or helping raise, animals for the fair. I also did the home economics type stuff like cooking, sewing and bread baking. I carried about 7 projects for those years of 4H, and participated in many Career Development Events in FFA. I think you all are intelligent enough to understand the impact 4H and FFA had on my life, considering I am now an agriculture Extension Agent. :)

Getting back the the CNN blog and the point of my entry today. ... "Eatocracy" is the title of the blog. They recently did a feature on why you should buy your freezer hog (or other type of meat) from a local 4H member. I cannot say that these people are totally against 4H and it's educational model, but some of the people who read it are. This blog entry, "Does 4-H desensitize kids to killing?" uses comments from both pro-4H and anti-4H people, and both sides have valid opinions. Here is an excerpt from the blog entry:

"4-H stands for "Head, heart, hands, health" and apparently a fifth - for "haters." To many, 4-H Clubs are all about nurturing sweet little calves, adorable children winning ribbons, urban garden patches and proud future farmers grooming prized pigs for show. To others, it's a calculated system for turning the youth of America into cold, unfeeling animal killers."

This is truly what some people feel about 4H? When I read that paragraph I was appalled! How could such a wonderful organization have such a bad reputation with so many people? I actually learned more by participating in the 4H "Know Your Government" conference than sitting in a high school civics classroom. I am one of the few members of my generation who can sew, cook, administer first aid, comprehends food safety, can take some pretty cool pictures and can identify, diagnose and doctor a sick animal, and then some; And all this is because of my particiaption in 4H.

I want to clarify that the Eatocracy blog isn't totally bad. They did have a good article titled, "Five reasons to buy from your local 4-H." This article advocates utilizing the entire animal, sourcing your meat locally to cut down on food miles and 4H animals being some of the highest quality animals in the country. The blog entry we are talking about here is in response to reader comments generated from the 5 Reasons blog entry. This blog is acutally defending 4H and it's educational goals. Kudos for that! :)


Then I read further and realized it wasn't 4H the readers were upset with, it was the fact that people were harvesting animals for their omnivore diet. The reader's emotions and personal values were set to defame an amazing organization. Sad day!

"In cold blood - I don't and would never support the 4-H. This group helps desensitize youngsters into having no emotional attachment to animals raised for food. For those who say no one should have attachment to animals raised for food, I say "of course". This is how the meat industry stays in business. If children are raised to love all animals and not try to see them as products, they would not be interested in seeing them killed. "Listening to the auctioneer and seeing how excited the children get when their animal is purchased is an incredibly fulfilling experience."

Really? Incredibly fulfilling experience. You mean knowing the animal that trusted you from birth is off to be mistreated before being slaughtered! That's fulfilling? Maybe that's because the 4-H has successfully desensitized these children who may have once be appalled by this. It's simply horrific. Shame on you 4-H for what you do to animals and to children. - Heather King"

I wonder if this person is a vegan? Or perhaps they think bacon comes from the grocery store and not from hogs. I truly feel sad for this person that they never experienced all the things that I was fortunate enough to go through and learn in the 4H and FFA organizations. I can honestly say that you don't become desensitized. You become appreciative of the hard work it takes to raise that animal, treating it much better than simply humanely, and then are rewarded by a check and the companion animal on your plate. There is no substitute for growing and harvesting your own meat. And yes, I have harvested and butchered my own 4H animals. It's a tremendous learning experience, but one every person should have!

As an agriculture advocate, I realize I have not done a thorough enough job in my education of others! We all must take the time when we over hear a person in the grocery store or on the street saying something ignorant about agriculture. It's not their fault - they haven't been educated! Another commenter responded to the "In cold blood" entry with the fact that 4H is an educational opportunity not to be missed.

" Education, not desensitization - What 4-H does do is promote responsible animal husbandry and the cultivation of food resources in a responsible, ethical way. I accept your position that any killing of animals for food is, in your position, not ethical or moral, however most of us are omnivores and I for one would rather that those producing the meat I choose to eat do so in a humane and ethical way. I respect your position, but I would also hope that you would rather see people brought up to understand, and therefore demand, that there an ethical way to treat an animal even if that animal's eventual purpose is the nourishment of a human being.


Desensitization is the wrong word–education is the right word. These kids (I was one) are not at all desensitized to the process–rather, they are educated about proper raising and care of these animals. Not only was I a member, but growing up we also purchased meat and produce from 4H and FFA members–talk about locally sourced! We could be confident in the quality, origin, and raising of these products in a way we can rarely be in a supermarket. - Value rather than desensitization"

We all must work to educate others about what agriculture really is and how we, as farmers and ranchers, are the trusted stewards of the land. Now don't get me wrong there are bad seeds in every industry but with all the negative press about how agriculture is ruining the environment, we need speak up louder than the rest and tell people the good things that agriculture can and IS achieving. For example, the CRP prgroam (Conservation Reserve Program) even though it can be controversial takes steps towards preserving farmland at high-risk for erosion. Wind erosion alone causes 5.5 tons per acre of soil to be lost annually. This program helps to maintain and enrich the current soil levels. This is just one example of an agricultural program ushering in a new level of stewardship within the industry.

Take the time to educate others around you. Slowly and steadily the ignorance and bad attitudes toward agriculture will meet with what actually happens. You can't change every one's opinion but shining the light on reality may be enough to get them to think twice about agriculture.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment