Friday, June 3, 2011

Mental Health Friday....

I took a mental health day today - I am very glad I did so! I went grocery shopping, which I desperately needed to do. I had no food in my house! Next time I think I'll shop more frequently instead of running out of everything before I go to the store. I used a bunch of coupons while I was at WalMart and while I can't say I saved a super whole bunch I was able to save around $10....better than nothing right? I picked up stuff to make the following recipe for creme cheese chicken enchiladas. They are auh-mazing! I found them on another blog called Homemaking on the Homestead; I find a lot of great things here! You should totally check it out! So here is the recipe and my comments:

Creme Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

* 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken meat, cut in to bite size pieces (I shredded my chicken)
* 1 medium onion, chopped (I diced mine)
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 8 oz. creme cheese, softened & cut into chunks (I took it straight from the fridge)
* Milk to thin sauce (I used some of the table cream I bought for this recipe)
* 2 teaspoon chili powder (I used more)
* 1 teaspoon cumin (I have an allergy to cumin so I omitted this and used paprika instead)
* 1 cup salsa (I bought a regular size jar of Pace Picante sauce and used the whole thing)
* 12 corn tortillas (I didn't use this many but I would suggest doing so)
* 2 cups shredded cheese (I used more just because I wanted them ooey-gooey & cheesy)
* 1 cup cream (I bought "table cream" and just eye-balled everything)

In a large frying pan cook chicken, onion & garlic in the olive oil. (Here's where I shredded my chicken meat then added the onions & garlic.) When the chicken meat is fully cooked & the onions are soft, add the creme cheese. (I used a wooden spoon & paring knife to divide up the cheese.) Stir to mix everything together while melting the creme cheese. Add a little milk to make the sauce a gravy consistency. (Here's where I added the table cream instead of milk.) Add the chili powder, cumin and salsa. (Remember, I didn't use cumin but feel free to use it in your recipe.)

Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. (I forgot to do this but didn't have any problems with sticking) Lay half the tortillas in the pan. Spread half the chicken mix sauce over the tortillas. Sprinkle half the cheese and salsa over the chicken mix sauce. Repeat the layers. (I got two layers in my pan.) Pour cream over the top. (I just eyeballed about a cup of table cream all over the top of the enchiladas.)

Bake at 375F for 30 to 45 minutes, until the enchiladas are golden brown on the top. (I am at roughly 2500 feet in elevation and only cooked the enchiladas for 30 minutes.)

I served my enchiladas up with some Uncle Ben's 90 second Spanish style rice.

I would also suggest some good re-fried beans and a salad but I was too hungry from making the enchiladas and just plain impatient to try how a new recipe turned out to make more than the rice! :)

I truly enjoyed my meal! I am going to save another serving for diner but the rest is going into my awesome new Tupperware and the freezer so I can have lunched for a while. Yummy in my tummy!
Totally gone! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment